CapitolMac’s professional services group is proud to offer IT support at your home or office. And if there's one theme that underlies our work, it's this: We appreciate excellence and attention to detail the most when it's equally applied to every aspect of a work—whether that work is creative, technical, or otherwise.
And thus, it goes without saying that we strive to provide that same level of excellence and attention to detail in whatever we do. We believe that a list of IT buzzwords is not an acceptable replacement for properly written, friendly, human-sounding words that convey to you, our potential client, the degree to which we value offering excellent, responsive service.
In Richmond, we have over two decades of history as Richmond's original "Apple store," and in Baltimore, we have a pedigree of nearly a decade as members of the Apple Consultants Network. So we certainly aren't newcomers to the Macintosh platform.
Let's start by telling you who we aren't. Unlike our competitors, we definitely aren't a Windows-centric "squad" affiliated with a big-box retailer who, despite having no Apple certifications whatsoever, decides to market itself as competent in Mac support when it isn't. We're Mac-focused (and pedantic) enough to know you don't put "Mac" in all caps when abbreviating it. We don't come to your site with a Windows laptop in hand (aside from the fact that, of course, any recent Mac can run Windows). We don't panic when you put a problem before us that we can't handle, and jump online to post "ONSITE - NEED HELP!" e-mails to listservs read by other consultants. (And yes, our competitors do this. We subscribe to the same lists.)
Quite the contrary, we're still young, scrappy, hungry (and perhaps naive) enough to be ultra-responsive to our customers' needs. Because we know we have to be. We've been loyal, humble, down-to-earth Mac users all along, since well before it was popular to be one. We know that Apple is a company that's gone above and beyond using "Think Different" as a marketing slogan, and has actively applied it in their products and services. We see it in Mac OS X, an operating system we consider beautiful both visually and technologically. Unlike some places, we knew about Apple (because that's the name of the company—not "MAC") back when everyone else thought Windows 95 would take over the world.
Still, we can't afford to be complacent. And yes, we do our homework when it comes to other operating systems and platforms. Though we obviously focus on Mac-based networks, we pride ourselves on our cross-platform networking knowledge, our ability to rework a Postfix configuration file until it sings, to make Windows machines hold hands with printers managed by OS X Server, or administer our own Linux-based Asterisk phone system. In short, we aren't going to waste your time with amateurish, sub-par service. We know that as a Mac user, you've become a bit spoiled—for you, excellence is the norm.
Given that our first love is the Macintosh, we're more than happy to prove it. We're certified members of the Apple Consultants Network (ACN), and when appropriate, we will make sure we send nothing less than an Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)-certified technician to your site, one equally at home with "vanilla" Mac OS X and the more high-end Mac OS X Server. It's one thing for us to know that we know our stuff, but more importantly, we want to make sure we leave you with the distinct impression that we do, too.
Oh, and this website you're visiting right now? It's hosted on Mac OS X Server, on an Xserve (RIP) in our Richmond store, which we administer ourselves, without any outside assistance. (If you don't believe us, there's no shortage of tools out there—Netcraft is one of them—that will let you confirm that we host and maintain our own website.) Many of our competitors aren't quite comfortable enough to put their own website and phone system in their own hands. We are. And we would humbly suggest that that says it all.
Here's some of what our Professional Services group can do for you.
We cater to a full range of clients—from the home-based freelance writer who's just switched to the Macintosh and would like help in the transition, to the corporate IT department in need of Mac-specific network integration assistance—and everything in between. Our services include (but certainly aren't limited to) the following.
- IT Outsourcing. You may have no full-time, in-house IT staff, or only Windows-trained IT people. Or perhaps you have enough in-house Mac knowledge to keep you covered for the basics, but would like someone a little more seasoned to help you with a larger project. Because most of our clients call on us for Mac-focused IT outsourcing, you can count on us to come in and offer you the help you need without getting in your way.
- Cross-Platform Network Integration. Introducing a new Mac-based server into your datacenter? Bringing in a new suite of Mac Pros, and need help integrating it into your existing network? We'll give you a hand and show you how all your machines can play nice. And if you're part of an IT department that isn't normally accustomed to working with Macintosh systems, we'll gladly share our knowledge and expertise with you. And we promise not to tease you for being a slave to Redmond.
- Workstation Troubleshooting and Maintenance. We'll assess your needs and offer a preventive maintenance regimen that suits your company best. We can offer a service plan that ensures that machines are kept up to date (with the latest versions of software, virus definitions, hard drive optimizations, and education of end users) on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. Of course, you can also bring us in for "one-shot" service calls as well.
- Mac OS X Desktop Migration. Working with Mac OS X and OS X Server is our specialty. And while the sheer volume of OS X's benefits make it a compelling upgrade for most organizations, making the switch can also present signifcant challenges. We'll work with you to assess how your existing hardware will work with OS X, then prepare a migration plan down to every last RAM stick you'll need. We then manage the migration so it doesn't interfere with your workflow, and then train your staff as necessary when it's all done. Optionally, you can choose to retain us with a maintenance contract afterwards.
- Networking Assistance. We'll get you networked and on the Internet. If you'd like to share your broadband connection among all the machines in your office, we'll help you do it. Want to set up your own web or mail servers, share printers, or set up a company-wide login and authentication system? Give us a call.
- Pre-Purchase Consulting. If you need to know about which of the latest hardware and software offerings will suit your needs best, or if it makes more sense to upgrade than purchase, look no further. We can demonstrate the latest products for you onsite, in case you'd like a hands-on trial run. And as an Apple Specialist, of course, we offer one-stop shopping.
This isn't an exhaustive list, of course. Our capabilities also extend into one-on-one training; hardware demonstrations; troubleshooting of client machines, servers, and networks; font management; phone and emergency support; and more.